Monday, June 6, 2011

May Update

 When we first left Mexico and were driving north I found driving 55 mph felt very fast after being on a sailboat and moving around at 5 knots.  Four months later I find myself having to slow down to 70 to avoid getting a ticket.  Life really is all about relativity.


Our big news here is that Phileta and I bought another sailboat!!!  Yep, we both were missing the water, wind, and wanted a place to call our own on our 29 hours off.  We also figured the cost of staying in hotels and eating out would soon surpass the cost of a boat.  So, we are now the proud owners of a 1984 25 foot Catalina whose name is "Rosebud".  Catalina's were not on the list to look at until a trusted, experienced sailor friend suggested they were "a great little boat".  She is currently at the Alameda Marina and as soon as the weather and the currents cooperate we will be moving her up to Martinez Marina where getting out to the San Pablo Bay will be a breeze and it is only 7.6 miles from home, there is bus service from her to near the marina and I could take the Iron Hose Trail on my bicycle to there!

We've only gone out sailing once since we got her , but I got a taste of sailing on the bay.  It's about a 7 mile motor down the channel to the bay and as we are going along Phileta (in her understated way)   says  "Time to get your foul weather gear on."

Captain Phileta at the helm in the channel
Mind you it is a bright sunny day, warm, and wind coming down the channel.  As I'm climbing up the gangway she adds " and your PFD."  When I look at her quizzically she says "we are going into the SF Bay."  She's the experienced one and I take heed.  I learned that Phileta's definition of a "light wind" and mine are not the same.  We also learned that our little Evinrude 2 stroke 9.9 outboard still starts after it has been partially submerged, I don't get white knuckles anymore as the rails go underwater, I'm still able to climb all over a boat as it is banging up and down at a 45 degree angle, and a when a container ship is sideways in the channel it takes up all available space . 



















It's amazing how much space this little one has, nice not having a huge diesel engine taking up the extra and adding it's perfume.


 We have been doing a fair amount of sight seeing with Lynn since our last post.  I think I'll just post the pictures and let y'all guess where we are.  Let me know if you'd rather I'd tell you.



















 
 















































































Thank you to Ellie for meeting us for lunch in SF.  What a great experience getting there, wonderful ambiance where we ate, and such a nice visit for the three of us.

Thank you Katee and Pat for meeting us for lunch in Sacramento.  We three thoroughly enjoyed our trip there and our visit with you.

To get you up to date with the household here:  Josie is becoming a regular lap cat and even allowing Lynn to give her loves.  A new family of birds (House Finch this time) has taken over the nest in the hanging geranium and the babies are cute little grey fluffs.  Mom has taught them to hide well.  So far neither Phileta nor I have been able to get a photo of them waving their huge beaks around on those tiny, wobbly necks.  The herbs on our porch are supplying us with lovely flavors to add to our meals and the plot at the community garden is growing well with waterings from Mother Nature.  Lately all I have to do is the weeding.

Hopefully the next posting will have more land and sea adventures.  

Wishing you all happiness and the warmth of friends & family.

Love to all,

D & P

No comments:

Post a Comment